How is education a means to save one’s life? How is Alexie attempting to save the life of the students he works with? How did Alexie save his own life?
Education saves one's life because it can get you somewhere. Education gets you jobs to make money so you can have a life and so you can somewhere to live. A lot of people stop their education once they graduate from high school. Very few of them are successful and have a stable job. Now a days it seems like it is a lot harder to get by if you don't have an education.
Alexie is attempting to save the life of the students he works with by encouraging the children to read and write and to continue their education.
Alexie saved his own life by teaching himself how to read. Even though he was extremely young when he learned, it helped saying out loud what the pictures were doing and eventually made sense with the words that were actually written. He was constantly told to be quiet and to not be smart but he didn't listen. He knew he was smart and he knew he wanted the education. Look where it got him. It seems like he is now a very successful writer and got to where he wanted to be in life.
Hi Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteDo you think Alexie is using the term "save" both literally and figuratively? What's at stake for the young children he's working with? If he's saving their lives, then what kind of death threatens children living on his reservation?
Lauren
Hey Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI almost picked this question to answer but was drawn more towards the smart/dangerous one.
I wish I knew the actual statistics for Levels of educations and types of jobs had per those levels. I should look that up sometime. I do believe in Sherman's case his education was his way of saving his life. Since his childhood it seems that he wouldn't accept his status quo and if not for some reason gaining the oppurtunities that he worked at his soul may have died. People with potential that you see that were not able to accomplish their goals or use their talents often live with that as a burden. I believe in Sherman's case, his upbringing with his father and his own will to succeed benefited him in saving his life.
EStrang
Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI also picked this question and I had a lot of similar thoughts that you have. In order for one to be successful in life, they need education. Its plain and simple. Wether you hate going to school, in the long run it will pay off and you can be as successful as you want to be.
I agree with you when your state that a lot of people stop they education after high school. I feel like people stop being motivated to learn after high school. They don't realize that we all a higher education to be more financially secure in our adulthood.
ReplyDelete