Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rules for Writers: Chapter 1

In chapter one, it explains the writing process. It tells you step by step how to start generating ideas to help you get started. You'll need the key elements (subject, source of info, purpose, audience, and the constraints). It helps to think about personal experiences to generate your topic if you weren't given one. Even look through readings and other relevant information you may have. Readings are most likely to be the primary source of assignments. Observations can be a really good way of collecting information but it's important to write down what you're observing because it stays fresh instead of trying to use your memory later. Usually the purpose of your paper will be determined by the writing situation. A lot of the time, the hardest part will be trying to find the purpose of your paper and usually your audience, or even asking yourself why people will care what your writing about can help find the purpose. 
Different techniques such as free writing, clustering, talking, etc. will help you generate ideas faster and can potentially turn into your rough draft. These techniques help you cross out ideas you may not need and it helps you get all your ideas that relate to each other. The thesis is the hardest part of the paper, at least for me. Your thesis should only be a sentence or two and it's usually the answer to the question your paper is about, a resolution to the problem your addressing, or a statement. Finally, you'll want to sketch a plan. Once you find your thesis, start writing idea to help support your thesis statement. Making lists is one way.

I usually try to make a cluster chart or lists of ideas when I write. They help so well and really get your started. What I do have problems with is making my thesis statement. For some reason, it is always the hardest part of all my writing assignments. I always can find the purpose of my paper and what I'm addressing I just can't figure out how to write a good thesis statement. Chapter one has a lot of good ideas that I will start using when it comes to more writing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment