The main ideas in chapter 46 in Rules for Writers is about Academic Writing. It explains reading actively (annotate the text), learn to sketch an outline of the text, summarize your understanding of the text, analyze your critical thinking, and knowing the different types of text.
In my writing, I plan on doing outlines and taking notes of what it is I am planning on writing about to help me get a better start on what it is I am writing. Taking notes and making an outlines really does help with the understanding of what it is your trying to read and write about. I am usually really bad at understanding different texts I read and reading comprehension questions. Hopefully the outlines will help me better understand what I am reading so when it comes to writing about the topic, I'll know more of what it's about instead of making stuff up that has nothing to do with the actual topic (which I actually used to do when I was in middle school). Analyzing the text is also helpful. Asking yourself questions or having someone else ask you questions about the text can really help you better understand the text and potentially write that paper.
Hey Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteAs I reading your post, I noticed that you mention something very useful; having someone asking us questions about the text could also be really helpful since they might come out with a question that maybe didn't cross our minds when we were reading the text. Thank you, this is something I will most definitly use in the future.
Estela