I didnt see a real connection between Thomas and Victor in the story. There isn't anything in the short story about how Victors dad saved Thomas. There wasn't anything about his father leaving either. The film makes the story a lot more interesting and makes everything come together. Also, The story makes Thomas a storyteller who no one cares to listen to but in the film, the girls seem to really like his stories.
Another part that caught my attention was how Victor wants to be a warrior but in the story, Victor wants to know the ways of being a true Indian.
The character have different personalities it seems in both stories and like I mentioned before, they don't have a connection as much to me in the story as they did in the film without mentioning the fire and Thomas being saved by Victors dad. I enjoyed watching the movie a lot more then I did reading this short story.
Hi Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteYour post has me thinking about the introspection we witness in the text version. In short stories, one convention allows us into the thoughts of the characters; the narrator can tell us what someone is feeling and/or thinking. In a film, that's not a convention; instead, facial expressions have to manifest feelings and thoughts.
Part of the connection we see between Thomas and Victor in the short story is the connection that exists between community members. Do people need an experience to connect them or are people connected by virtue of being part of a community?
Lauren
Hi Kelsey
ReplyDeleteI think your right about the story lacking the same connection as the movie portrayed. It was interesting also how the movie seemed to"glorify" Thomas's character but in the story he was kind of an outcast. I would like to believe that Victor was more like the movie character in being a brotherly type as opposed to the colder less forgiving guy that the story showed us. The movie also generated a feeling of wanting to know what happens next with the characters. I didn't feel that with the story.
Thanks
Hey Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI actually happened to enjoyed the reading better than the movie. They both are great versions of the same story, yet I feel like got a better idea of the type of relationship between Victor and Thomas from the written version. I can honestly understand why you prefer the film over the reading since this help to visualize the story, and have a better feeling of the scenes as I was reading the same.
Estela
I agree with Estela. I felt like I got a better sense of the characters and their relationship from the story. For example in the section when they are driving through the forest and they don't see any sign of life until finally Thomas crawls behind the drivers seat. The movie was so elaborate with their relationship and how they bonded in the end but in reality, they don't have one, and never will.
ReplyDelete