Chapter 16 is about wordy sentences. How do you know if its too wordy? Try taking out words you may not need and if the sentence still has the same meaning and is understanding, then you previously had a wordy sentence. Repeating words over again in a sentence can make it word, and redundancies. Words and phrases you should try to avoid are is, are, was, there is, there are, etc. and phrases like "I think that..", "It seems that...", etc.
The reason I chose to write about this chapter is because I tend to make my sentences too wordy. I always find myself repeating words just so I can fill up space or because at the time I thought it sounded smarter. But now looking back, it doesn't sound smarter and half the time it makes no sense. Avoiding using words like are, is was, there is..and etc, is really hard. I've tried it once as an assignment in high school to edit an essay we had to write and get rid of those types of words and I found it impossible. It's not impossible though, you just have to think about it really well to figure it out. I also tend to use the phrases "I think that..." and so on. I never found anything wrong with them but after reading this chapter I guess I need to stop using them..
No comments:
Post a Comment