Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rules for Writers Chaper 48

In chapter 48, it talks about evaluating arguments and distinguishing between reasonable or fallacious. Generalizations are used in arguments all the time but aren't always accurate. Some of the fallacies used in arguments are called hasty generalizations where someone only uses one source of data and there are stereotypes where people see what they want to see instead of knowing the real facts. Usually writers use ways to persuade the reader but sometimes its too emotional. Its good to put yourself in the opposing viewpoint. No matter what, the arguments should be supported by accurate information.

I have never put myself in the opposing viewpoint but I do think it will be helpful. Usually is something sounds good to me and makes sense to me, I tend to think of it as accurate even if it may not be. Now, I will probably read over everything and make sure I don't miss the real accurate information instead of sticking to what sounds good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment