A freewrite is where you write for ten minutes without stopping. No stopping or or crossing out or even worry how to spell things correctly. Your words and thoughts just need to come out even if your just repeating yourself over and over again or even just saying you don't know what to write over and over again. The only requirement of a freewrite is that you never stop writing until the ten minutes are up.
Freewrites help make your writing stronger within time. It helps make writing easier and it also makes it easier to get your thoughts out on paper after freewrites become something you do a few times. Freewrites help you put more attention into what you're writing and to become more focused.
I am usually really bad a freewrites and I NEVER know what to write. What I never really understood I guess is that you're allowed to make "mistakes", grammar and spelling doesn't need to be correct, and it doesn't have to make sense. You're allowed to say you don't know what you're writing about and you can't get the words out. Growing up in my English classes, I always hated doing freewrites because I always thought it was something I was being graded on by content..not by just doing the assignment.
Hi Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your ideas. You might want to go into the freewrites for our class with a topic in mind--maybe one of the dialogues or summaries for the week. This will give you something to write about, since that's been an issue with past freewrites.
Lauren
Hi Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteI've never had to do freewrites until this class, but they seem like a great tool to me. I think the best thing about it is that you're able to write whatever comes in your mind, you can just pour your thoughts onto paper. In the reading it does say that, "the main thing is that a freewriting must never be evaluated in any way; in fact there must be no discussion or comment at all."(2) To me, that just means to open up completely, there's no way it will be graded, or you can get a wrong answer, just let your thoughts about the subject flow and if you get off the subject, so what. Hopefully the freewrites will get easier and more fun for you as time goes along!
Good luck,
Alex Robinson
Hey Kelsey,
ReplyDeleteThis was my first time doing a freewrite and I am absolutely horrible at it. I to do not understand why you are allowed to make mistake and I kept finding myself going back to fix everything. It was kind of annoying. I really liked how you summed up what a freewrite is; I am always worried about how to spell things correctly. Anyways I hope that you do well on the next ones we have to do; I hope we both do well.
Best wishes,
Sabrina
I hated doing freewrites in grammer school. I think it's because I never fully understood what the point was. The reading completely changed my perspective. A freewrite literally has no boundaries, you can write about WHATEVER. I remember being told to write the same word over and over again if you get stuck and I thought that was silliest thing I had ever heard. The teacher never explained why. Now I finally get it! You don't want to stop writing because if you do, you'll be more tempted to go back and try to edit yourself.
ReplyDeleteIt's always good to see if in anyway you can relate to the topic. Another classmate compared it to poetry and that made me think hey that is a great way to think about. Let free write be a type of outlet. Maybe the topic we have to write reminds of an argument you just had or your friend mentioned it a bit. There is always a way to relate whether it's a person or through someone else. I think relating it to poetry is a good idea, but that's just my thought. Hope it goes well.
ReplyDelete